What is mood board interior design and how to make it?
You may have unique interior design ideas for a room for yourself or your client, but maybe you are stuck with where to start? The best way to start the designing process is by putting all your dreams, ideas, and thoughts in one place – by creating a mood board interior design.
Now you may be wondering about what is a mood board interior design? And, how to make one? Don’t take stress here. In this article, we have shared all the details with you.
Mood board interior design is a visual representation of a collection of design ideas that you have for your room. It’s more like bringing ideas out of your head and presenting them as a real execution. On the mood board, add pictures, colour combinations, and other necessary materials, to give a hint of the outcome.
By creating a mood board, you will get a clear-cut picture of whether your idea will look good or you need to make changes to it.
Benefits of creating a mood board:
- Provide enhanced visualization
- It is like a blueprint for interior design ideas, which makes it easy to execute the real task
- As an interior designer, you can use it as a draft to showcase to your clients & make changes accordingly
- Does not let you confuse with an overflow of ideas or information
- Helps in avoiding the costly mistake which interior designers might have done without a clear picture.
Apps & Softwares you can use to create mood boards:
You can make the mood board interior design on various digital platforms like:
- Adobe illustrator
How to make mood board interior design?
To make the best use of a mood board, it is always good to create a mood board for every room instead of focusing on the entire home or office at once.
You can choose to create a mood board interior design digitally or physically. Normally, to save time & make things a bit easy, people prefer one of the above-mentioned apps or software to have a mood board for their interior design ideas.
The selection depends on:
- If your client is near you, choosing a physical mood board may work well for you. In case, the client is in a remote area, choosing a digital one is best.
- Making changes in a physical mood board is quite time-consuming & takes more effort, whereas making changes on a digital mood board is comparatively easy.
Here are the few steps that you need to follow while creating a mood board:
1. Brainstorm the idea & collect relevant pictures
The basic step to start with is to brainstorm with all the interior design ideas that you have in your mind. Once you are clear about which theme or idea will perfectly suit your need, search for the relevant images that will perfectly accomplish your idea and make it clearer.
The relevant image can be a picture of another room related to the theme design you thought of or furniture & fixture that you want to purchase.
One of the best and helpful ways to search for great ideas is Pinterest. Pinterest will provide more relatable and trending ideas that will help you to think more clearly & use your creativity.
While collecting the images to go perfectly with your ideas, do not forget to keep a reality check – to have an eye over your budget so that you don’t feel bad later because of things that go well with your theme but are out of your pocket.
2. Add the elements that you need
Once you have a clear idea upon which you want to work on. The next step is to add the needed elements, which will enhance the appearance of your main theme.
- The element can be a font, quotes, vintage illustrations, artwork, & fabrics. Add all the things you need. This will help in making the best mood board that will communicate well.
- While choosing the elements, try to have an element without much noisy background or no background. This will make it easier for you to experiment with the element with different designs without any issue.
- Do keep the check over the color scheme of your elements and the main idea. Colors can help you make the best mood board or the worst one, so play with colors carefully.
- Remember the basic rule is not to restrict yourself. Think out of the box & put the things which you feel will match the main idea.
3. Try out different options
Once you have all the main elements on the mood board, now is the time to see what works well and what does not. If you feel some furniture material or artwork does not go well with your main theme, it is never too late to find a new element that brings magic to your overall idea.
It is better to experiment & get the best one rather than settling for less useful elements and regretting later.
4. Present your board to ideal people
Once you are done with the above steps, the next step is to present the mood board to the people for whom you created it. If you don’t present the mood board with energy & happy vibes to the ideal people then it’s like wrapping a present and not giving it. So, go for it and always be open to suggestions and innovative ideas.
Creating a mood board is a process to enjoy and have fun with, it doesn’t require any predefined set of rules. Putting all your interior design ideas in one place gives you ample time to bring the best design without wasting the time searching for ideas.
Once you are done with creating a mood board interior design, always take a step back and check if you can add or omit something from it. This is the best practice way to edit the mood board interior design before presenting your final creativity to your ideal client.